Wednesday 5 December 2012

Pay Day


Last Saturday was December 1st; a time that normally marks the coming of Christmas and the holiday season. A wake up call for people to seriously think about the presents they will buy, the family dinners to organize, final exams for some, or putting on winter tires for others. Shopping centers all across the world have already dawned their glittering holiday attire and Johannesburg is no exception. What marked this December 1st for me apart from the lack of snow and the summer temperatures was the unfortunate coincidental meeting of a weekend with the end of the month.

Weekends are usually busier for the trauma unit. No work: people go out, people drink, people fight, and people end up with a knife blade or a bullet where it should not be. This happens fifty one times per year and does not surprise anyone at Bara. The reality here is obviously different and these are the kinds of horrors we have to deal with. Some weekends are different though, even for Bara, and last weekend was just that. The end of the month is when people here get paid. Combine a weekend with a pay day and you have a perfect storm with a payload so hard to cope with that even a three thousand bed megahospital like Bara had to divert ambulances coming in with critical patients to other hospitals for several hours.

As I previously mentioned in another post, I would rather describe an experience than specific cases. I feel like this transcendence is more appropriate in order to share my “world”. Here is what I went through on my twenty six hour shift on December 1st.


Morning rounds (going over each new ward admission from overnight) start at seven. I asked the call team how their night had been: “Not too bad considering it’s pay day weekend: a couple stab chests, stab necks, only one gunshot wound, no deaths… pretty quiet. Lots of lacerations though.”

Once the rounds and the ward work were over, the previous day’s team went home to sleep and I headed over to the resuscitation area.  On my short walk there, I could not help but draw a parallel with my experience in Inuit communities in the Arctic exactly a year ago. It was a Saturday night in a tiny little village called Salluit: a drunk teenage girl had been assaulted by her drunk teenage cousin with a piece of broken glass. I was a fairly green medical student back then and after having stitched the girl’s eyebrow, I turned to one of the nurses in disbelief looking for some answer that might make me regain my use of speech. “This is what happens on weekends here”. Now with an extra year of clinical experience under my belt, I still had an uneasy feeling about what I was going to see: that creepy calm before the storm.    

It was not as chaotic as I thought it would be in the end. Or perhaps, I did not react as chaotically as I thought I would. I had prepared myself mentally and emotionally to the dreadful things I was going to see in South Africa and it was a matter of applying this frame of mind. It is a difficult balancing act; that of careful, competent, calculating callousness with caring concerned compassion.  A robot makes a terrible doctor, but so would a drama queen. One has to be both unphased by the human drama unfolding before him and caring enough to have patients feel “safe” in your hands. Yes, it is a difficult balancing act, but oh so important; like looking straight into someone’s eyes while he exsanguinates and telling him “We’ll take care of you, Baba (term for adult males). We’ll do our best”. With this, the patient may feel reassured. With this, his heart rate may slow down, decreasing the rate at which he is losing blood. It may buy you a few more minutes, the time it takes to run to the blood bank, snatch a few units and run back. Everything matters.  No, I did not react as chaotically as I thought I would.



Time is an additional vital sign here. The raggedy shredded bodies accumulate waiting to see a doctor hours and hours after initially getting injured. If a patient is still alive hours after getting assaulted, time crudely confirmed the patient’s stability. Many wait so long while their blood thickly cakes on their faces and clothes because the emergency response teams are oversaturated or because they were unconscious either from head trauma or from simply being drunk – a lot of them drunker than I have ever been despite my best attempts during my rugby days.

Medicine is practised differently here, partly because of the sheer volume of patients that require treatment and partly because of the physical capacity for such treatments. In Montreal, lacerations are superficial cuts that require a few stitches. The lacerations at Bara are fleshy trenches requiring multi-layered stitches (once the bleeding has stopped of course), and further investigations to identify possible arterial or bony damages.  In the best of worlds, these would be addressed in an operating theater but since ours are overflowing with more critical patients on such nights, we repair them in the pit (the ambulatory trauma department). This often includes hands and faces which are the sacrosanct domains of plastic surgery back home. The concept of an emergency is also different. I learned in shock that a lacerated facial nerve is not the latter.

This brings me to preach about my values on practising medicine in foreign countries. This trauma elective is a fantastic learning experience but I did not come here to play doctor and practice procedures that I am not qualified to do. I sought additional training at personal cost to prepare for this. These people are not Guinea pigs and they should not be subjected to a lower standard of medical care. Primum non nocere. One obviously has to bend the rules when it is physically impossible to comply with them, like trying to do a sterile procedure with no sterile gloves, but they are nevertheless a standard to continuously aspire to. In the converse situation, you are nothing less than an asshole and a failure as a professional.


I remained calm throughout my shift but I was angry. So very angry. A disguised anger behind the double mask I just described, but I was nevertheless boiling inside. I had described the trauma victims of armed aggression in a previous post as having been subjected to a labor of hate. But part of the complex truth behind the trauma epidemic in Soweto is not solely explained by hate. Hate alone could not cause so much destruction. It is indifference which I painfully learned to blame. Some people just do not care and the frighteningly primitive responses to a vast array of life challenges seem to funnel down to the bark of a gun, the flash of a blade, or worse… A “tire necklace” or a “Goodyear special” is when a poor soul is restrained with a gas-filled tire around his chest and arms and is then lit on fire. People also get dragged under cars in a premeditated way. The weight of human life does not factor in the equation and it violates my belief system so harshly that I was filled with anger. A calm silent anger behind the focus of my work, but intense and burning deep.

And it goes on. You may have just witnessed the worst thing in your life but there is no time to process, to breathe, as there are other patients to see. One minute you are performing chest compressions on a person with a stabbed heart, his warm crimson life pouring out of his wound and onto your hands, inside your gloves with each compression, the next minute, you are inserting a chest drain into someone else.

By day break, the new team arrived to relieve us. While I remained vigilant throughout the night, I had difficulty staying awake during morning ward rounds. The type of fatigue that sees you rewrite orders five times because they are illegible, and no my notoriously bad handwriting had nothing to do with it.   I got home safely and crashed in my surprisingly inviting tiny single bed.

This was quite a test – physically, mentally, emotionally, and professionally – but one which I am glad to have passed according to my personal standards. Medical students fight endlessly with doubt on their unsteady road to learn the incredibly complex and vast art of medicine. Earlier this week, the smile of a patient I first assessed on December 1st reassured me and confirmed that my time and efforts will make me a competent emergency physician. He had four holes in his heart.

The road is long, the cost is high, but I was built for this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

-    Robert Frost

Yours truly,
TF

No comments:

Post a Comment